Saturday 19 April 2014

Yay! It's UKYA DAY!!





It's UKYA Day today (sounds of party poppers going off).  This is a fab project and so important as it highlights the talent and wonder we have here in the UK. One of the reasons why I love writing YA is because it's fresh, diverse and challenging.

I thought I'd use this post to celebrate some of my influences, fab UKYA writers who I think should be highlighted. Of course, there are many more than my small list - but this is just an example of some of the excellence out there.


1) Anne Cassidy.
Fantastic, powerful writer, she really challenges her reader.
If you've not read Looking for JJ, you must - honestly, you won't regret it.

2) Jaqueline Wilson.
I know she's not strictly YA but some of her early work influenced me greatly.
Nobody's Perfect and Waiting for the Sky to Fall were books I read AGAIN and AGAIN as a teen. They encouraged me to write.

3) Keren David
I'm late finding Keren, but as a contemporary/realism writer myself, I am in awe of Keren's work.
She is real, gritty and exciting. My only regret is not finding her sooner.

4) Cat Clarke
Cat's books are so clever, fast moving and gripping and keep you reading until late at night.
I get so excited when a new book comes out!

5) Sally Nicholls
Sally is such a diverse writer. She writes about contemporary issues with such sensitivity.
I have just received my issue of Close My Pretty Eyes - and I can't wait to get stuck in.

Of course there are so many more. I could go on all day, but these 5 authors make me want to read more of their work. Not only that they also encourage me to become a better writer.

We are so lucky to have such a wealth of talent here. Please remember to keep recommending your favourite authors and sharing the love.

Let's make UKYA stronger than ever

xx
 

4 comments:

  1. Jacqueline Wilson is by far my all time favourite author although I mainly read YA and her books aren't. Still she is great and so are the others on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was a bit cheaty - but she really influenced me and her early stuff is teen. Thank you for your post! x

    ReplyDelete